PDA

View Full Version : possible blown voice coil?

JMC1
04-13-08, 09:53 PM
so ive got 2-2ohm dual voice coil subs.

get everything hooked up as correctly as i can get it. im pretty sure i have everything hooked up correctly, but im not 100% positive but pretty close, anywho, ive got a problem.

i fear ive got a blown voice coil in each of my subs. one sub doesnt seem to work all the time. if i push in the center of the sub while music is playing it will start going... but then, it sounds like a crackle, crackle isnt the best word for it, but it sounds sorta like that...

im just wondering if it is in fact a blown voice coil, and if there is a way to test it?

this is how they are wired. can i run the postive to the postive of one voice coil, and the negative to the negative of the same voice coil, to test each one? will that tell me if there is one bad one? (ie will it work correctly with just one hooked up all the time for the good voice coil, and will it work not at all all the time for the bad voice coil?)

baggedandcaddied
04-13-08, 09:55 PM
a way to test for a dead coil is to use and ohm meter and measure from the pos to neg on each coil and see what it says. Each should read 2.0 or very close to that. What kind of subs are they? I know that form of wiring wont work on some subs

JMC1
04-13-08, 09:56 PM
and if it is blown or damaged what might it read?

baggedandcaddied
04-13-08, 10:21 PM
0 or very high if it is a 2 ohm coil then is should be 2. If other, then there is something wrong with it.

JMC1
04-13-08, 10:23 PM
makes sense. ill be checking that out first thing.

chevybrat
04-13-08, 10:34 PM
Yup ohm meter is what told me that I had a blown coil. Also, as Mike has informed me, if you wire your subs in series then parallel to the amp, the sub will not play at all if there is a blown voice coil. This is partly why I had both of my subs re-wired in series.

JMC1
04-13-08, 10:36 PM
im pretty sure im wired up the exact same as you arent i? at least thats what i tried to do as we are pretty much using the same equipment...

Mikz86TA
04-14-08, 12:11 AM
sounds like a blown coil. Test as already recommended with a meter

JMC1
04-14-08, 10:55 AM
yep, sub 1 VC1= 2.2ohm
VC2= 5.4ohm

sub 2 VC1= 28.0ohm
VC2= 3.5ohm

but when i play with the wire that goes from the terminal to the voice coil, i can get it to go to 2.2ohms.

does this mean the voice coil is blown still, or that the wire is just loose? they sound good when i play with the wires, but eventually the vibration makes the wire move to the point where they dont work anymore... is there anything i can do?

baggedandcaddied
04-14-08, 01:36 PM
thos are some crazy off the wall readings. Did you unhook the wires from the subs. I saw that you had 1 jumpered. Did you unhook them before measureing. If not unhook all wires and measure each coil seperate. If you did this i would take them back(if they are new) or be on the look out for some new subs.

JMC1
04-14-08, 03:36 PM
each individual coil was measured.

when playing with the wires as they connect to the VC i can get all 4 to read 2ohm... which explains why when i play with the wires i can get the sub to perform as it should. the VC's arent blown, the wires are just real screwed. i dont know what to do about it cause its not real easy to get in there to say solder the connection solid.

probably on the look out for new subs.

chevybrat
04-14-08, 04:08 PM
After my sub with the blown voice coil was replaced, few weeks later I thought I had a blown sub too but I had them re-wired and tested with the ohm meter and nothing was blown at all. I would double check all of your wiring before doing anything else.