PDA

View Full Version : scrapping out a water heater

extreme gmc
09-21-11, 05:49 PM
40 gallon water heater. How much do you suppose I could get for it? Could I get more if I disassemble it?

Thanx!!!
Charlie

XTREME80
09-21-11, 06:05 PM
If you lived closer i would buy it to make a yard roller out of it.......

firefighter
09-21-11, 07:43 PM
How old is it? When a water heater gets old it is FULL of sediment. You might be able to "cheat" the weight that way. But you also might be able to get more credit for the various metals in it.

To be honest though the few times I have scrapped things I decided it wasn't worth the effort. I loaded up the bed of my dads Silvy with all kinds of stuff and left with about $30. Spent the day going throguh the garage and risked slicing a tire on my dads truck for $30? No thanks. I would rather dump it on their front lawn. The only people who make money on scrap metal is the scrap yard.

BigTruckDrivah
09-21-11, 08:01 PM
That aint no sh!t. And the passed 2 times they damaged my truck and trailer. First time they dented the top of the bed, second time the magnet dropped a old block from about 8ft and busted one of my 2x12's on my car hauler. I was pisses!!!!! And barely made enough to fix the trailer. That water heater isnt going to fetch much at all.

extreme gmc
09-21-11, 08:05 PM
Really? I always heard that there is good money in scrapping water heaters.

Mikz86TA
09-21-11, 08:40 PM
From tme to time I have stuff to scrap. I always wondered about a HWH. One neighbor had one and I was gonna get it but its steel and brass and glass lining and some copper

BigTruckDrivah
09-21-11, 08:56 PM
If you dont seperate all the metals they give you standard scrap price here. When we get a bunch of radiators, a/c stuff we have to clean all the plastic and steel away from the alluminum,brass.

neo71665
09-21-11, 09:42 PM
There isn't much in a water heater that brings good money. The small amount of bress and copper is outweighed by the steel.

Electric motors and transformers out of battery chargers bring a good bit but you have to take them out.

About to haul some myself. Got 5 whole engines right know plus some big electric motors that weigh about 30 lbs apeice to haul off.

dave1182
09-21-11, 11:43 PM
hell take a sawsaw and turn it in to a pit

neo71665
09-22-11, 02:15 PM
We made a grill out of the inner tank years ago. Was too small for anything but hamburgers and hotdogs.

extreme gmc
09-22-11, 04:49 PM
I scrapped the unit as a whole this afternoon. I got a whole $11 for it. Totally not worth it.

'94 Big Blaze
09-22-11, 05:01 PM
I loaded down my dimes bed with washer,dryer,metal sheets,and some old wheels and 2 bags of cans and didn't get but 30 bucks scrap prices have really dropped from what they use to be, its not really even worth the effort anymore.

BigTruckDrivah
09-22-11, 07:33 PM
I loaded down my dimes bed with washer,dryer,metal sheets,and some old wheels and 2 bags of cans and didn't get but 30 bucks scrap prices have really dropped from what they use to be, its not really even worth the effort anymore.

They are crazy high around here. I have some old fence out back and someone stops at the house atleast twice a week to ask to haul it off.

neo71665
09-22-11, 07:44 PM
Scrap is way up, why I been hauling it off. Done had too many people try to "help" haul it off for us. Hope the last yahoo thought the 2 truck tire I shoot out from under him was worth the 2 donut rims he made off with

BigTruckDrivah
09-22-11, 09:14 PM
My father in law racks up a pretty good bit just from side work and parts cars he takes in. He's bought ALOT of parts cars, robbed all the parts he needed to fix something else made money on that, then scrapped the car for more than he paid. Most people dont have the means to move/or keep a old junk car so we try to scoop them up and put in the our "junkyard", after they are picked over haul to scrap yard. We scrapped an old Thunderchicken Lee would have killed us for a while back. Bought it for 200 bucks, pulled the running 400 and trans, scrapped the roller for 400 bucks, sold the engine for 200, installed it in a old F150 for 500, oh and sold the brand new tires for 175. So a 200 dollar car turned into a 1275 dollar car pretty easily. This was a complete running car Lee, lol.

BigTruckDrivah
09-22-11, 09:15 PM
I scrapped the unit as a whole this afternoon. I got a whole $11 for it. Totally not worth it.

What did you spend on gas to get there? 20 bucks?

'94 Big Blaze
09-22-11, 09:29 PM
My father in law racks up a pretty good bit just from side work and parts cars he takes in. He's bought ALOT of parts cars, robbed all the parts he needed to fix something else made money on that, then scrapped the car for more than he paid. Most people dont have the means to move/or keep a old junk car so we try to scoop them up and put in the our "junkyard", after they are picked over haul to scrap yard. We scrapped an old Thunderchicken Lee would have killed us for a while back. Bought it for 200 bucks, pulled the running 400 and trans, scrapped the roller for 400 bucks, sold the engine for 200, installed it in a old F150 for 500, oh and sold the brand new tires for 175. So a 200 dollar car turned into a 1275 dollar car pretty easily. This was a complete running car Lee, lol.thats what i want to do i know for a fact i could make some good money here.

BigTruckDrivah
09-22-11, 09:43 PM
We just scrapped the old blazer I got my CPI from a few months ago. originally paid 500 bucks for it complete minus the front grill, sold the complete interior for 250, the trans for 200, I robbed the engine and wire harness/fuel pump, front doors, fenders, and hood, it still scrapped for 150 bucks. So we made 50 bucks and got a engine free, oh and i still have the alluminum wheels. Im sure they will fetch a little cash at the scrap yard. Just someone who buys junk cars, and takes them straight to scrap yard will make some money. For a person who does mechanic work on the side, it pays really good.