PDA

View Full Version : Is 1996 the same as 1998?? 2.2 l

Jongo88
03-06-07, 04:20 PM
I have a 1996 gmc sonoma and it has like 220,000 miles on it. I found a 1998
s-10 with 28,000 on it. Are these motors the same?? They both are 2.2 l.

droopy89
03-06-07, 04:23 PM
yup, except the mileage

high_ohh
03-06-07, 05:42 PM
its gunna be slow but from your older truck you should know that......

Mikz86TA
03-06-07, 08:36 PM
I dont believe there were too many changes to the 2.2L motors. The 96 and 98 should have identical smog and pcm management controls. Anyway if it did, then just attach old computer, emmisions and accesories to the low-milage motor. Definately would do it if its cheap. Maybe get the driveline too while your at it. Resale would show the 220K on the odometer but if you get records and pics to document the change it would be attractive to a potental buyer to pay a good price.
I have a 1996 gmc sonoma and it has like 220,000 miles on it. I found a 1998
s-10 with 28,000 on it. Are these motors the same?? They both are 2.2 l.

nomaboy
03-07-07, 04:26 PM
the intakes are different. the 96 2.2 used the same one found in earlier 90's cavaliers. the 98 is when they started using the sfi. the blocks should be the same though and the other stuff would bolt up i would think.

Mikz86TA
03-07-07, 09:56 PM
Ahh---good call! Check out the accesory brackets and their mounts.
the intakes are different. the 96 2.2 used the same one found in earlier 90's cavaliers. the 98 is when they started using the sfi. the blocks should be the same though and the other stuff would bolt up i would think.

Jongo88
03-08-07, 08:14 PM
Thanks... I am going to buy the truck. It went into a ( dry ) ditch so the front and the roof is smashed. The frame is bent. The motor trans and rearend looks to be good. The bed is a step side. Its perfect. I'm getting the truck for $400.00.
I think it's a good deal.

Mikz86TA
03-08-07, 08:26 PM
Hell yeah, update your truck with the '98 int and front grille if good. Hell do the bed if you like stepside. Part out what you dont use and get your $ back out of it. Good find!

elvis71056
11-12-07, 04:58 AM
HMMM...I also need some help

A friend swapped a 98 2.2 L into my Chevy S 10 (a 2.2 liter came out of it).

He was told it was a 96 2.2 but it turned out it is actually a 98
he put my 96 crank into the 98 engine after modifying it (of course it will not run right..sounds like timings advanced as far as it will go)

Once he tears down this rebuilt engine and replaces the crank ..with the correct 1998 crank shaft (using my 96 heads manifolds etc)

Will this engine run alright...like I said it runs with the 96 modified crank in the 98 engine...just timings advanced and he took it to a shop and the timing can't be retarded (becasue it has a 96 crank in it)

Nickelin'Dimer
11-17-07, 11:45 PM
The crank trigger synchs were changed in '98 to be more advanced 0.045", and they can't swap with earlier cranks for the same engine. And the computer can't be programed to compensate for it either. And you definately shouldn't try redoing the synchs on the crank's trigger-wheel either, unless you'd like the computer to have a nervous breakdown essentially, and have to spend the "Big Bucks" to replace it. Also, there are several differences in the head design details from the '97 to '98 head alone. For example:

Circular intake port-> Rectangular port
Smaller exhaust port
"Torque-to-yield" rockers on studs-> Pedestal rockers
Valve-cover design & mounting
2-piece cast aluminum intake manifold-> 1-piece cast resin manifold
Different exhaust manifolds
Wedge-shape chambers-> Heart-shaped chambers
Different valve heights

And of course, I should also mention pistons with a shallower dish on the latter engine to maintain the CR at 8.89:1, and a different camshaft design also used latter to improve midrange. Mind you that cam thing could only be on the LN2s used in FWD apps, but I really don't have any info to confirm that as of yet, so it might be in the trucks too. In short, the head of the '96 will swap to the '98 engine for the pre-'98 app, but then you should swap the crank to a un-modified '96 crank while you're at it too or it just won't run properly. And while it's at the in the shop, have a guy who knows how to use an HP-Tuner re-curve the fuel & spark for the different cam. And use the '96's computer, too! Say... your truck is a '96, right?