Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much will it cost to change out Intake MAnifold Gaskets?

How much will it cost to change out Intake MAnifold Gaskets?

Hey I have came down to a descision on whats wrong with my truck. Its leaking coolant from the intake manifold gasket.

so how much would a shop charge me to take it too them, to clean it up real well, change out intake manifold gaskets, clean the head and manifold surfaces real clean so it will have a better seal for more miles to come.

If its going to be to much I will do the project myself.

Re: How much will it cost to change out Intake MAnifold Gaskets?

hell thats whats wrong with my truck too and i called a shop that im gonna take it to and he said around $650 roughly, ya i know an arm and a leg for the price but oh well i wanna done right the first time
    97' Chevy S-10 with a few mods

From what I've priced its usually between $200 and $600. I had mine done for $200 by a private mechanic, plus the price of gaskets. So I paid around $250 after it was all said and done. The GM Dealer here charges $400, but I also live in a small town.
    2004 Pontiac Grand Am SC/T - "BLACK OUT" Monsoon Stereo, Moonroof, SC/T Hood and Spoiler, Tinted 3rd Brake Light, Hyper Green Headlights, Custom Green Painted Accents, Green L.E.D. Underglow. (2) 10" RF P1s, Alpine 850.1 Amp

1998 GMC Sonoma ZQ8- "BLACK KNIGHT" 4.3L 5-speed(SOLD)
    Under Construction: Silverado HD Hood Combined with S10 Hood = Custom Cowl Induction

1984 Mercury Cougar - 5.0L, Mustang Shorties, MAC Prochamber, Magnaflow Bullets, Stang GT Tails, Stainless Tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    From what I've priced its usually between $200 and $600. I had mine done for $200 by a private mechanic, plus the price of gaskets. So I paid around $250 after it was all said and done. The GM Dealer here charges $400, but I also live in a small town.
    funny thing is i just called the GM dealer and they said they charged 475+tax to do intake gaskets, and the shop i was gonna take it to told me around 650, so i was like WTF? i figure the dealer would be the most out of any shop ya know?

I guess I will have to call around and just see how much it will be to replace my gaskets.

I really need my truck back quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis S10 View Post
    I guess I will have to call around and just see how much it will be to replace my gaskets.

I really need my truck back quickly.
    ya i understand what ur saying, i have a second car but damn i want my Dime back!

I just did mine 2 weels ago and it cost $15.00 and about 3 hours. It was eazy to do. Don't be afraid of it. Just take your time. I could of done faster but I was cleaning my intake up real good so it looks like new now.
    Quote Originally Posted by neo71665 View Post
    Google searches can prove bigfoot is real and aliens from outer space are breeding with humans too.

What year is your truck?
    IMO, if you have little mechanical skills, a $200-$300 job isnt that bad. Its mostly labor since the gaskets are cheap.
    But if you have tools and are mechanically inclined, its a fairly easy task. A sevice manual or a chiltons wil be a valuble tool to have also. A manifold gasket kit from say FelPro ususlly will have all the ones nessesary to do the job. Including the waterneck gasket or o-ring and other 'removed' parts gaskets. Cleanup of the surfaces is easy. Lay a towel over the intake valley to catch debris, use a scraper, putty knife scraper and a wireweel brush in a drill. Time and patience. A little RTV to hold stuff in place helps when reinstalling parts. Hardest part for most novices is the distributor. So pay attention, read how to mark its position B4 removal, understand whats going on when removing it as the gear meshes and it spins, and pay attention when reinstalling it. Torque wrench...need that too and the specs. =)
    2003 S-10 ZQ8 - 262/M5 1986 Pontiac Trans Am - 355/A4

I hate taking out a dist and screwing with timing!

Quote Originally Posted by n2o2g0 View Post
    I hate taking out a dist and screwing with timing!
    You don't have to screw with the timming if you mark it. I turned the motor over untill the rotor was pointed at the firewall and marked a line on the firewall and as a back up I marked the dist. Then put a mark at the base of the dist. onto the intake. Then pull it out. Then when you go to put it back in line the marks and slide it in. If it don't go all the way down then you are off your mark on the firewall. Lift it out turn it a little
    ( one tooth) And slide it back in. Then line up the other mark at the base and tighten it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by neo71665 View Post
    Google searches can prove bigfoot is real and aliens from outer space are breeding with humans too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information