Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: comp cam 270HR cam kit

comp cam 270HR cam kit

ok i've herd few people talk about this cam, but is this a good choice in cam selection ? i also herd somebody say they would need 2800 stall ? but comp says you can use the stock converter.

care to help me out on this one.
    I drive a ford....

Re: comp cam 270HR cam kit

I have one just haven't put it in yet. I was given the same impression it'll be choppy you can use the stock converter but a stall would be better. I' going to run mine with the S/C and I will use a converter then.

That probably didn't help at all. lol

If you run a cam that is recommended for use with a higher stall and use the stock converter, you'll get rough, choppy idle and you may have some pulling on the brakes.
    Of all the roads you take in life, make sure some of them are dirt.

1976 K5/1983 S10/1989 S10 BAJA Franken-truck: Click HERE for build thread

It's not a bad cam on idle....if you leave it at a stock idle (600)....it will have a chop, but not anything like the 280 which sounds like a prostock The 270 is the biggest you can go on a factory tuned PCM before it gets pretty involved. The MAF will compensate for the additional air intake through out the revs and your LTFT's and STFT's (Long/Short Term Fuel Trim) will add fuel required for cruise...but your PE (Power Enrichment) settings for WOT or Tip-IN will be off which might leave the engine stumbling for fuel in some conditions...and you won't benefit from the full power of the cam unless that parameter and/or VE tables are adjusted

Basically, you can drop it in....and it will drive fine....but you won't get the best out of it until you tune for it I went with the 266HR...on the engine dyno...she has a noticable idle, enough that you know that it's not stock...and pulls hard through 6200. The max torque peaked about 400rpm higher, but has a really nice pull all the way to redline...which will be 6000. An for all interested....final numbers are 227hp/291tq...of coarse, that's crank...but ehh....not bad for some head work, cam, 1.5 pro-mags, and some love Now I just have to get the turd in the truck
    Last edited by rabidbandit; 01-20-09 at 03:55 PM.
    2002 4Dr 4X4 S-10 Blazer

Marine intake, CompCams 215/220dur .510lift 114LSA custom grind, UltraProMag 1.52 Rockers, Beehive springs, Hardened retainers and locks, JBA SS Headers and 3in out back, mild head work, 10.5:1 Comp, Forged Guts (prepped stock crank), ARP everything, 650+hp Level 3 4L65E Trans from Extreme, 4.11 gears, 89 octane and 228rwhp/262rwtq N/A on mustang dyno. Gearing up for the turbo build

Check my build thread in my sig. There's a video of the car with a 270 in it, open headers. Idles pretty good. Not as choppy as I was expecting. Revs real quick, but we did other work to lighten the rotating assembly.
    LS1 RX7
    "Your car reminds me of a bad Kung Fu movie... It looks Japanese, but sounds American.... in a very wrong way"

4.3l RX7 in the works here

Quote Originally Posted by rabidbandit View Post
    final numbers are 227hp/291tq...of coarse, that's crank...but ehh....not bad for some head work, cam, 1.5 pro-mags, and some love Now I just have to get the turd in the truck
    I love it! 40 hp and 40+ ft/lbs is sweet, especially considering that's a relatively conservative cam!
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________
    "Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff."

The Mule: '03 sonoma ECSB, 4.3L/auto - E-fans, SLP y-pipe, 3" cat-back, CAI, UD pullies, free mods, A/C delete, XTREME80 tuned, Torsen LSD, UB machine UCAs, Spohn LCAs tall balljoints, coilovers and adjustable shocks, some ZQ8 stuff, ZO6 wheels, envoy'd, race seats, Toyo R888's.

The Bird: '95 Firebird Formula ram air, LT1/T56.

Quote Originally Posted by rentedmule View Post
    I love it! 40 hp and 40+ ft/lbs is sweet, especially considering that's a relatively conservative cam!
    Yeah....LOTS of head work, as much as I could go before switching to 2.02/1.60's which was alittle over kill, but porting helped immensly (wasn't cheap...but much cheaper than the 23deg brodix's) These numbers unfortunatly were based on the 2114 Eddy intake and a matching performer 600 carb....this will probably drop when the marine intake sits on it I figure subtracting around a 5-10hp...and maybe 7-9tq....bummer Then there IS always room for turbo/supercharging that would solve that problem
    Last edited by rabidbandit; 01-20-09 at 05:31 PM.
    2002 4Dr 4X4 S-10 Blazer

Marine intake, CompCams 215/220dur .510lift 114LSA custom grind, UltraProMag 1.52 Rockers, Beehive springs, Hardened retainers and locks, JBA SS Headers and 3in out back, mild head work, 10.5:1 Comp, Forged Guts (prepped stock crank), ARP everything, 650+hp Level 3 4L65E Trans from Extreme, 4.11 gears, 89 octane and 228rwhp/262rwtq N/A on mustang dyno. Gearing up for the turbo build

Did you do more porting the what I have done in my project thread?
    http://www.s10planet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16004
    Last edited by Bone Crusher; 01-20-09 at 05:46 PM.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
    2009 TBSS: SLP catback, Airaid CAI, Pacesetter headers, FMS stage 2 shift kit, MSD plugs, TR6 Plugs, PCM tune.

Quote Originally Posted by rabidbandit View Post
    Yeah....LOTS of head work, as much as I could go before switching to 2.02/1.60's which was alittle over kill, but porting helped immensly (wasn't cheap...but much cheaper than the 23deg brodix's) These numbers unfortunatly were based on the 2114 Eddy intake and a matching performer 600 carb....this will probably drop when the marine intake sits on it I figure subtracting around a 5-10hp...and maybe 7-9tq....bummer Then there IS always room for turbo/supercharging that would solve that problem
    Vortech heads have gotten sy/ty's into the 700+hp range so they can flow pretty well! The marine intake is a pretty unobstructed design too - it may not hurt that much. The precise tuning you'll get with the MPFI may even get you that power back. Still cool however it turns out
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________
    "Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff."

The Mule: '03 sonoma ECSB, 4.3L/auto - E-fans, SLP y-pipe, 3" cat-back, CAI, UD pullies, free mods, A/C delete, XTREME80 tuned, Torsen LSD, UB machine UCAs, Spohn LCAs tall balljoints, coilovers and adjustable shocks, some ZQ8 stuff, ZO6 wheels, envoy'd, race seats, Toyo R888's.

The Bird: '95 Firebird Formula ram air, LT1/T56.

well heres the thing, im going to add this to a reman 4.3 from gm, also what head work will i have to do ? and im most likely keeping my tbi for now will that be a problem ?
    I drive a ford....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information