Thread: What year 5sp transmissions will fit a 95 S10 4cyl

What year 5sp transmissions will fit a 95 S10 4cyl

If I ever need a replacement 5 speed manual transmission for my 1995 S10 4 cyl truck...which years are direct drop in?

Want to know in case I come across a deal on a back up, already have a backup engine.

87wildside Guest

Re: What year 5sp transmissions will fit a 95 S10 4cyl

I just spent about 45 minutes on google searching and got nothing. Everything is for NV1500 96+. Can't find anything for the 95 and older.

87wildside...appreciate the effort. I may have spoke too soon about not needing a tranny.

Noticed that when you lift the clutch pedal up fast in 1st gear you hear what sounds like gear teeth grinding very briefly then it is fine..just a quick grind and it is then good to go. Occasionally it does it when releasing the clutch in 2nd.

Is this tranny the NV1500? Do they have any typical problems?

I know the problems with the NV3500...but this little one is new to me.

Ed

87wildside Guest

New Venture 1500
    5 speed fully synchronized transmission, with bell housing integral to aluminum transmission case. Similar in design and appearance to HM290, 5LM60, and NV 3500 series transmissions, but slightly smaller. Requires some special tools to rebuild. Used in 1996 and up GM S10 vehicles with 4 cylinder or 2.8 liter engines.

Borg Warner T5
    All aluminum 5 speed top loading transmission. All forward gears synchronized. Early design has brass synchronizer rings while later "world class design" uses paper lined rings and tapered bearings on countershaft. Model number located on ID tag attached to extension housing bolt starts with 1352. Built in 2 and 4 WD versions. Used in Jeeps 1982-87, General Motors S10 2wd trucks with mechanical speedometer, GM S10 1989-95 with electronic speedometer, and GM 4 X 4 S10 1983-95. This unit is also found in Astro Vans with 2.8 or 4.3 V6 engines. Tremec Corporation bought the design from Borg Warner and now manufactures this unit.

NV3500
    5 speed fully synchronized transmission with the bell housing integral to the aluminum case. There are four design levels of this unit. It started life in 1988 as an HM290 found in GM trucks, and was re-designated 5LM60 with early and late designs. Hm290 and 5LM60 units each have 4 shift rails. The unit was completely redesigned as a 3500 with a single shift rail. Due to all the design variations it is critical to positively identify which model trans you are working on in order to get the right parts. This unit is built in both 2 and 4WD versions. This series of transmissions requires some special tools for rebuilding. These transmissions are found in full size GM trucks from 1988 and up, S10 trucks from 1990 and up, and 1994 and up Dodge Dakota V8 Ram trucks.

The easiest way to tell would be to check for an integral bell housing. If it has a separate bell housing it's the T-5, integral it is either the NV1500 or NV3500 and you can use the above pics as a reference.

87wildside Guest

87wildside

Really appreciate the info...just need to crawl under the truck (daughter using it this week)...I'm sure it is the Borg Warner T5..but I'll check it out tomorrow evening.

I have a couple of extra NV3500 (V8) trannies that would make good cores...they work but are noisy.

Just looked on eBay...the deals are for 1997 and newer...

Thanks again for the info..great stuff...going to print and save it. Picked up a Haynes manual...always do..but it is useless re: transmission info.

Ed

87wildside Guest

Good deal. Glad I could help out.

FYI: I took the T5 out, the front pilot bearing was nearly gone which allowed the input shaft to wobble. When taking off the clutch plate would hit the pressure plate just enough to make the grinding noise.

Learned that I have a V6 T5 (world class) in my 95 S10 with 2.2! I just installed a new pilot bearing, clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing. Also installed and fitted a new input shaft taper bearing with shims in the T5. The T5 is really an easy tranny to fix. Under $150 for the entire job with new clutch kit, bearings, shims, and fluids.

The tranny is solid, no noise what so ever now!

[quote=87wildside;237332]
    Borg Warner T5
    All aluminum 5 speed top loading transmission. All forward gears synchronized. Early design has brass synchronizer rings while later "world class design" uses paper lined rings and tapered bearings on countershaft. Model number located on ID tag attached to extension housing bolt starts with 1352. Built in 2 and 4 WD versions. Used in Jeeps 1982-87, General Motors S10 2wd trucks with mechanical speedometer, GM S10 1989-95 with electronic speedometer, and GM 4 X 4 S10 1983-95. This unit is also found in Astro Vans with 2.8 or 4.3 V6 engines. Tremec Corporation bought the design from Borg Warner and now manufactures this unit.

Interesting side-note: The T-5 also saw application in the gasoline & diesel GM T-body (Chevette & Pontiac 1000) models from '82-'87. They are identifiable by the 16-spline 1"-dia input-shaft, where as V-8 models used a larger shaft with higher spline-count. They also had non-integral bell-housing with the clutch-fork purtruding from the lower drivers-side, while S-truck models purtruded from the lower-passenger's. They used the same ratios for first through fourth gears as the T-4 70mm trans previously offered (3.76-1st), but added the addition of a 0.86:1 overdrive in 5th. It is believed that this ratio-combination was used in all 4- & 6-cyl production GM T-5 apps.
    Go beyond the "Bolt-on"...

Thread Information