Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passlock reset

Passlock reset

My buddies 2000 S10 has a no start, flashing security light symptom. He just swapped out the ignition key because the old one wasnt hanging up. Now, it will start for a second then die, then when you try to start it just turns over. Security light is flashing with key in run position/not starting. Im sure its a Passlock issue just not sure how to reset it?

Here are the solutions I have found......
    1.turn truck over for a few seconds
    2.leave ignition in on position for 15 min.
    3.repeat above steps again for 15 min.
    4.after the second round of waiting turn key off
    5. wait a few seconds and start, done

Tried this earlier, but it didnt work. Going to try it again in the morning to make sure I didnt mess up the steps. Anyone done this before? I used the search button but came up with nothing. I figured Id find a sticky for this some where but no luck. Maybe we need one.

Re: Passlock reset

my truck passlocks on a regular basis...my keyswitch is baffed. You ALMOST have it right....

Jump in the truck, and try to start it. It will run for a second, then die. Dont touch a thing. Sit there for 10 minutes. Sometime during the 10 minutes, you'll hear a couple relays click, the dash will light up like a christmas tree, the chimer will chime....once it does this (it will do all that at once) start the truck. Your good to go.

Jay

If at first you don't suceed, cheat, repeat untill caught, then lie

I think if you search Security Light or something you'll find my thread on this.

Jay

I always just did the VATS relearn from a bi-directional scanner.
    2003 auto Long Bed 4.3L ZQ8 + 2/3, Caltracs, rear disk, Auburn LSD, SS mirrors, Snugtop, 16" Zyrgo fan + VSC, 255/50/R16 Falken ZE-512, 2114 with 48LB Racetronix injectors, marine TB, TorqFlo Trans cooler, 2 BAR MAP, Accel 60115 distributor, A1000 FPR, Corbeau Forza seats, Mach headers, 2.5" front mount intercooler, Innovative turbo, Purple 3,000 RPM torque converter, EFILive COS3 tune.

If this post has offended you in any way, please feel free to leave negative feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Ice_flash View Post
    I always just did the VATS relearn from a bi-directional scanner.

Not available to me.

I found it. There should be a sticky on this. I'd never figure it out if I didnt have interwebz. So just try to start it, let it sit until the chimer chimes, and Im good? It did all that the first 15 minute wait but I turned it off and did it again so maybe that goofed the process. I read some where there are contacts on the ignition switch that get dirty and causes the intermitten problem you are having. You might take yours apart and blow it out of clean it, may fix your problem.

Oh, and his remote start fires the truck right up. weird

turning the key to the off position after it relearned screwed it over...lol. After it relearns, start it. You got it.

Jay

Gotcha. thanks Jay

The other thing you can do is if you still have the original keyswitch, you can measure the resistance of it.
    2003 auto Long Bed 4.3L ZQ8 + 2/3, Caltracs, rear disk, Auburn LSD, SS mirrors, Snugtop, 16" Zyrgo fan + VSC, 255/50/R16 Falken ZE-512, 2114 with 48LB Racetronix injectors, marine TB, TorqFlo Trans cooler, 2 BAR MAP, Accel 60115 distributor, A1000 FPR, Corbeau Forza seats, Mach headers, 2.5" front mount intercooler, Innovative turbo, Purple 3,000 RPM torque converter, EFILive COS3 tune.

If this post has offended you in any way, please feel free to leave negative feedback.

I have the same issue with my 99 S-10 and found A LOT of different "relearn" procedures. This is what worked on my truck.

When the no start occurs the "SECURITY" will be flashing while the key is on. after trying to start the engine leave the key in the ON position.

After 10 minutes the "SECURITY" light will stop flashing and stay on for a couple seconds and then go off.

After the "SECURITY" light goes off, turn the key to the OFF position for 5 seconds and then to START.

the engine starts and runs normally (until the next time this piece of sh!t system decides it doesn't like the key again)

I know this contradicts a lot of the "relearn" info out there, but none of them worked on my 99 S-10 and this did.

I'm still searching for a way to COMPLETELY bypass this POS system. It's amazing how much conflicting info there is on this subject.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone with the same truck get back on the road. (10 min. wait beats a tow bill)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information