Thread: S10 (8.5") 2WD axle width with disc brakes?

S10 (8.5") 2WD axle width with disc brakes?

First off...I don't know if the 8.5" rear axle (1995+) 2WD was even offered with drum brakes?

A forum write-up indicates the 8.5 2WD unit has a 54.5" WMS. Was just contacted by an individual selling one stating the WMS is 56" on his 8.5" unit? He also has a 7-5/8" rear axle with discs measuring at 54". Could the 8.5" axle rotor thickness affect the WMS?

Thanks

Re: S10 (8.5") 2WD axle width with disc brakes?

The only rear ends that got disks were the 4x4s and blazers. That started in 98. Up till then everything had drums. Even after 98 2wd trucks still had drums.

The only way you are gonna find a 2wd rear with disks is off a 98+ blazer.

2 wheel drive width from WMS to WMS is 54.5 inches
    4 wheel drive width from WMS to WMS is 59-60 (depending who measures it) inches

Everybody seems to measure them and come up with different numbers but give or take 1 inch either way. As long as its not any further off I'd say its what it is and matches up.
    Last edited by neo71665; 01-05-11 at 08:05 PM.
    D.J.

Typing on a phone, my fingers are bigger than the keys. I also can't spell for crap. Excuse any errors done by stupidity or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by oddball View Post
    1st gen are like the old mutt that hangs out on the front porch,aggravate the crap out of ya,but ya love 'em to death.The ONLY way I will have a 2nd gen is if they a almost giving it away.

Thanks neo71665

Comparing the disc brake and drum brake axles..would it make sense that the disc unit would end up with the widest overall WMS since the rotors are thicker than the drum? Not by much...but a little.

They used spacers to keep them in spec so no it won't matter if its drum or disk, the WMS should remain the same.

56 inch sounds almost like a zr2 4x4 axle but those all should be disk rears.
    D.J.

Typing on a phone, my fingers are bigger than the keys. I also can't spell for crap. Excuse any errors done by stupidity or otherwise.

1st gen are like the old mutt that hangs out on the front porch,aggravate the crap out of ya,but ya love 'em to death.The ONLY way I will have a 2nd gen is if they a almost giving it away.

Quote Originally Posted by neo71665 View Post
    56 inch sounds almost like a zr2 4x4 axle but those all should be disk rears.
    The axle is still in the truck..I suspect he used a tape measure and with the obstacles came up with what he thought was 56".

Quote Originally Posted by neo71665 View Post
    The only rear ends that got disks were the 4x4s and blazers. That started in 98. Up till then everything had drums. Even after 98 2wd trucks still had drums.

The only way you are gonna find a 2wd rear with disks is off a 98+ blazer.

2 wheel drive width from WMS to WMS is 54.5 inches
    4 wheel drive width from WMS to WMS is 59-60 (depending who measures it) inches

Everybody seems to measure them and come up with different numbers but give or take 1 inch either way. As long as its not any further off I'd say its what it is and matches up.

neo71665

Here's one for ya.....Went to the wrecking yard today to pick up an S10 4X4 ZR2 8.5 rear axle with drums that I found last week as trading material. I get it home and measure the WMS... and it's 63" This one also has the tapered axle shaft housings (3" to 2-3/4")

So it appears that there is a 3rd S10 axle 1) 4X2 (54.5"), 2) 4X4 (59") and 3) 4X4 ZR2 (63").

So I now have an extra 4X4 ZR2 (63") with GT4 3.73 and G80 POSI for trading material if anyone needs one. I did locate a 2WD (8.5") GU6 3.42 non posi for sale by another guy that I will pick up next week.

Yes I just left the ZR2 info off, sorry thought it was common knowledge that they are wider than a normal 4x4. Must have been from a early model one if it still has drums.
    D.J.

Update:

Just picked up a 2003 Blazer 2WD 8.5" rear axle. Came from the factory with rear disc brakes but the seller keep them and all related brake hardware. Was going to install my 95 ZR2 drum brakes on the Blazer 2WD axle..... now learned that the 2WD 8.5" axles are 1/4" longer than the 2WD 8.5" with disc brakes (so the drum set won't work directly on the 2WD disc axle)

So now to plan C, will the complete rear disc set off a 7.5" (4X4) axle work on this 2WD 8.5" axle?

thanks

Almost sure the disk sets were all the same
    D.J.

Thread Information