Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing new lifters. 2000 4.3

Question Installing new lifters. 2000 4.3

I started noticing a tapping sound coming from my engine when it's cold or after sitting for a few hours. The tapping goes away when the engine gets warmed up. The engine runs perfectly fine. After searching online and listening to videos on youtube I think I've narrowed it down to a stuck or collapsed lifter. I haven't priced the job at a shop yet but i'm thinking of tackling the job myself. I have changed the lower intake manifold gaskets on the same engine about 4-5 years ago but that is as far into an engine as I have ever been. I really want to replace all 12 lifters instead of just the bad one to avoid any future lifter problems. The only thing I'm really concerned about is getting everything (rocker arms,push rods)set back up when assembling everything. Are there special tools to set up the rocker arms? or do I just torque them to a certain torque setting? Anyone else tackle this job before or have any tips that may help me? Any help is appreciated.

By the way here is a video I made showing the tapping sound.

Re: Installing new lifters. 2000 4.3

If your 2000 is like my 05, there is no setting involved. Just torque the rocker arm shaft to spec (3 or 4 bolts) and you are done. Take pictures along the way to aid in reassembly. I'll get on tonight to guide you along and type a store, I'm on my blackberry and lunch just arrived.Jay

If at first you don't suceed, cheat, repeat untill caught, then lie

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Pollard View Post
    If your 2000 is like my 05, there is no setting involved. Just torque the rocker arm shaft to spec (3 or 4 bolts) and you are done. Take pictures along the way to aid in reassembly. I'll get on tonight to guide you along and type a store, I'm on my blackberry and lunch just arrived.Jay
    That offers me some hope that I can do this job myself. I most likely won't do this until after the holidays. I need to find a set of quality lifters (I usually look to upgrade to better stuff when fixing my truck) and anything else I may need.

Ok....so here's the good news.

Im working on posting up a thing for ya right now....give me a few.
    Last edited by Jay-Sliver; 12-09-11 at 08:09 PM.

Pull your upper and lower intake as a whole unit. Its easier that way. I pulled mine as 2 pieces and shouldnt have...no reason to.

Pull your valve covers off.

Ok. Above, you see rockers, a girdle, and pushrods. The rockers sit on that girdle, and have a single bolt through the center of each rocker. Remove 1 rocker at a time and set it aside on a piece of cardboard or as I have done, on paper towel. Once all 6 rockers are removed, the girdle plate can be removed. Nothing fastens it down just the rockers. Remove each pushrod one at a time and place it with the corrisponding rocker, as I have done.

Above, you see all 12 lifters and the retaining plate. Once the lower intake is removed, the lifters and retaining plates are exposed. As you can see, 2 bolts holds the retaining plate down... Remove them, and pull the retaining plate off and set it aside with the other stuff. You can now remove each lifter.

As pictured Above, the top of the lifter where it fits into the retaining plate is keyed. The lifter will fit into the retaining plate only 2 ways, and it doesnt matter what way it fits in. Either way is correct. It has to fit into place one of 2 ways, to keep the roller on the tip of the lifter inline with the lobe on the cam, pictured below

As for the new lifters....anything from your napa dealer or summit racing will do. Lifters are not something you are going to get a performance gain from.

Soak the lifters in a bowl of engine oil for 24 hours prior to installation. While the lifters are submirsed in the oil, take a pushrod and give them a pump or 3 to assure they are filled up with oil.

Reassemble everything in the opposite order as disassembled.

Refill with fresh oil and filter, and coolant. This would be a good time to change the thermostat too.

Your Intake Gasket Set may or may not come with valve cover gaskets...if not, it might be cheaper to get a whole top end gasket kit. You'll need a tube of RTV sealant too, for the intake along the front and rear.

Any questions, want more pictures, shoot me a message... Like I said, my engine is completely torn apart top end wise, and I can get pictures of anything and everything if I dont already have any.

Jay

Now would also be a good time to take the cheap plastic bodied distributor and throw it aside, and install this aluminum bodied aftermarket distributor, as MANY of us have done on the forum. This thing is dirt cheap, comes with new ignition module, cap, rotor, body...everything.. Couple guys have been running it for a couple years with no issues. You cant even buy a cap and rotor for this price...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/96-05-Chevy-GMC-Pickup-Truck-4-3L-V6-Vortec-Distributor-/220909348339?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &hash=item336f3925f3#ht_10063wt_1054

j
    ust a suggestion.. I have one going in my Jimmy when I put it back together.. Jongo buys them by the 2 pack...

Jay

WOW! Thank you so much for all the information and pictures. I really appreciate it a lot.

I remember seeing those distributors on ebay quite a while ago. I saved the seller but never ordered one. Good to know they are actually a quality part. I need to check my finances after the holidays if I decide to get one.

Not really looking for a performance gain from lifters, I just meant that I usually look for a better than stock part when I need to buy parts.

Also, this thread should be a sticky.

Let me ask you this... Does it go away when it warms up???
    Quote Originally Posted by neo71665 View Post
    Google searches can prove bigfoot is real and aliens from outer space are breeding with humans too.

Check the thread Rocker Swapping 101. I dont recall the year split, but IIRC 2000-up has the roller trunnion lifters that Jay posted. So they are easy. If you have the prior std style, you reinstall like any rocker arm and have to go thru the sequence.
    If a lifter is sticking, you can try an old school trick. Before you change the oil, take some ATF and pour it in the crankcase. Run it for a while and then change the oil. You can also try some SeaFoam. Just be sure to do oil change after. The theory is the detergents in ATF will clean out any deposits and trash that may have gottn in there and causes the lifter to stick. Cheap trick save u alot of time/money. If it doesnt work, then so be it.
    Google it
    2003 S-10 ZQ8 - 262/M5 1986 Pontiac Trans Am - 355/A4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information