Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 91 gmc s15 jimmy 4x4 4.3l. ( shake )

91 gmc s15 jimmy 4x4 4.3l. ( shake )

Hey guys hope someone can help ????? 3inch blocks in rear ,torsion bar trick its pretty low in front about 2 inch travel play in the front suspension...I just replaced two upper ball joints and lower ball joints .....the half shafts have been removed and end left on at the hub .. when I travel down the road I hit a bump and the driver front tire wobbles like crazy I thought the wheel was going to fall off...lol .I do have a significant amount of play in my steering wheel too!!!! The upper ball joint has a bad angle ????thanks in advance ..
    Fuzzy Britches

Re: 91 gmc s15 jimmy 4x4 4.3l. ( shake )

Well hows the inner and outer tie rods? idler arm? pitman ? how about the center drag link? these all play a part in the steering/suspension. i say lift the front end put the truck on jack stands and get a friend to push and pull on the wheels with you inspecting these items while they push/pull, watch for lose, sloppy parts- you'll find it. a 4x4 has these items too right? front steer, i'm a 2 x guy.
    Last edited by Danzcameo; 04-15-12 at 09:23 PM.

Yea once I changed the ball joints it helped a lot ......but the tie rod ends looked fine.will check the rest of the suspension soon, thanks
    Fuzzy Britches

I bet you could find the sloppy parts by just having someone sit in the truck with the steering wheel unlocked, (truck not running)
    and have them turn the steering wheel back and forth. bouncing off the play in the wheel and inspect those components. your bound to see something lose/move.

Thanks!!!! the park test cool......gosh rivets on those ball joints were killer lol love the challenges though . Hey have you ever adjusted a steering box before ?
    Fuzzy Britches

Many ways to remove those rivets, i usually use a large cold steel chisel and a short handled 3 lb hammer- yeah fun. actually gonna do a couple b-joints on mine tomorrow.
    Steering box adjustment is on top the box, it has a outer nut with an allen hex wrench style bolt through the center, turn and hold the outer nut ( counter clockwise )-say a quarter turn while holding the inner in place. that will allow you to turn the ( inner clock wise ) but do not turn the inner bolt more than a quarter turn clockwise. hold the inner in place while locking down the outer nut. if you adjust the box to tight you will find that when you are driving around turns the wheels will not return by just releasing the steering wheel- try it you'll see what i'm trying to explain
    Last edited by Danzcameo; 04-15-12 at 10:03 PM.

Cool thanks again .....yea I had a air hammer with chisel end....and ended up using a side grinder ,drill. Not to bad for ball joints to last 20 years lol . I went ahead and grab the tie rod ends. Everything is pretty cheap for this truck . 2 upper and lower ball joints, two tie rod ends all for about 90 bucks!!!! Not to bad hey what's your opinion on shocks? Brand,size etc
    Fuzzy Britches

I think i used monroe sensa-trac gas on both our blazers ( 2nd gen ) i used the coilover-load type in the rear of both blazers and regular gas gimmicks up front not the best or worst out there. i always try to go with the middle of the road stuff when i buy anything-a lifetime warr. always sways my purchase though. the coil overs look cool but they add a little more to the $$$

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0419.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	478.6 KB 
ID:	15825 that key setup look ok to you ?
    Fuzzy Britches

Cant help you there, im not a 4x4 guy. check back later, others will help ya in that department.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information