Thread: Fiberglass front clip??

Fiberglass front clip??

As I start goin back together with the blazer, Im gonna need a new core support and front clip. I've heard of and seen baja style fenders and whole lift off fiberglass front clips but can't seem to find a good place to price out or pick one up. Any body using something like this and or can ya point me to where to pick one up?
    99 blazer, 1.5" custom suspention lift, 31/10.50 revos, k&n, flowmaster, accel plugs wires cap etc, 1500+watt system, mild power mods here and there....i think the "s10 planet" sticker adds like 5 more hp.... (currently squished) we will rebuild!
    81 gmc 1/2 ton short bed, 350 with bolt on's and mild cam, 4:11 posi 12 bolt, tci trans w 2500 stall, slammed. current best et 14.66 @ 92.36mph in the 1/4

Re: Fiberglass front clip??

Stay away from race parts unless you good at fixing cracks all the time. I looked around and seems about everybody was the same price. Just finding a place that has them will be your problem. Seems lots of offroad companies like to let their website go years out of date. At least your 2nd gen is easier than my 1st gen. I gave up and started chopping a set of steel fenders up, 2 inch rise, 3 inch bulge, forward opening moved forward 3 inches (my sas is 2 inches forward factory axle center). The rear is the hard part. About all I have figured on it is some fiberglass mini dually style fenders for a 2 inch rise, 3 inch bulge, and gotta see how far back the rear axle is gonna get moved from factory.
    D.J.

Typing on a phone, my fingers are bigger than the keys. I also can't spell for crap. Excuse any errors done by stupidity or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by oddball View Post
    1st gen are like the old mutt that hangs out on the front porch,aggravate the crap out of ya,but ya love 'em to death.The ONLY way I will have a 2nd gen is if they a almost giving it away.

my front fenders are already half jacked up any way from the wreck, so i don't have a problem makin an attempt at flaring them (can't be any worse). I just think a one piece pull off would be great for getting to everything. I saw alot of web sites sellin the fenders or clips but they want alot price wise and none of them look like a place i wanna leave a card number ya know. just lookin for a reputable company
    99 blazer, 1.5" custom suspention lift, 31/10.50 revos, k&n, flowmaster, accel plugs wires cap etc, 1500+watt system, mild power mods here and there....i think the "s10 planet" sticker adds like 5 more hp.... (currently squished) we will rebuild!
    81 gmc 1/2 ton short bed, 350 with bolt on's and mild cam, 4:11 posi 12 bolt, tci trans w 2500 stall, slammed. current best et 14.66 @ 92.36mph in the 1/4

They all cost a lot and of the ones I've seen not really worth it. The ones that are worth the price are hand laid and cost way more than the chopper gun ones. On a drag truck flip noses are nice but off road you have to remove the inners so all the funk goes right into the engine bay. Only problem with lift off and flip noses is if they aint reinforced just right they crack EVERY time they are opened. I loved them until I owned and fixed one every week.
    D.J.

Typing on a phone, my fingers are bigger than the keys. I also can't spell for crap. Excuse any errors done by stupidity or otherwise.

1st gen are like the old mutt that hangs out on the front porch,aggravate the crap out of ya,but ya love 'em to death.The ONLY way I will have a 2nd gen is if they a almost giving it away.

It is possible to make a one piece clip not crack, but you can't do it right out of the box. Need to glass a steel support frame into the underside(especially if you're going to hinge it), or at least glass aluminum or steel plates around all your mount points before drilling holes. It needs to have enough gap at the back to avoid the cab when everything flexes, especially if you're not bumper to bumper caged with solid body mounts.

I have friends that have run 1 pieces for years without any problems(including pre-running Baja every year), but it was not a simple install to make it tough enough.

Also remember most Offroad 1 piece clips are going to be 10" wider than stock with massively flared wheel arches. I'm sure someone makes drag style 1 pieces though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Robby1227; 10-28-12 at 09:56 AM.

By the time you add all the metal and glass to the one piece you threw any weight savings out the window. Might as well weld the steel fenders to the hood and make one.
    D.J.

This is how my buddy did his:

The hinge/structure:

Finished

As for companies Glassworks unlimited, McNeil racing(Perry's Fab and Fiber), and fiberwerx are the 3 places to go. Personally I use McNeil, but glassworks is great as well. Fiberwerx is used by a lot of people but they are sometimes not the best quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Robby1227; 10-28-12 at 01:37 PM.

i checked those out... not bad but not much for the sec gen s-10. i don't really care about weight on this project, so reinforcement is no big deal. your pic of the hood frame all welded up has got the wheels turning though. im gonna do a little research and some brain storming and see if i can't fab up what i want

Thread Information